Saturday, September 18, 2021

Pokémon Blue Version: Nothing but Mazes and Teleports (Won!)

Heading west out of Fuchsia City proved to be a good decision. Behind another sleeping Snorlax lay a hidden path to the HM Fly. I can now fly between cities, which will be great for making backtracking more tolerable. The last new town I need to reach requires Surf. I had to look up where to find it, as I completely forgot about the Safari Zone (and I always thought it was an option area anyways).

The Safari Zone not what I expected. It seemed pretty linear and the mechanics of catching Pokémon changed. I couldn’t battle with them, but rather, I could only throw rocks, bait, or Pokeballs at them. It was rather tedious, as they could run away at anytime. You can only take 500 steps within the zone before having to start again at the beginning. Took me two rounds to get Surf. I also found the Warden’s teeth, and he gave me a Strength HM. 

I left the zone and went south to the ocean. This ended up leading to the Seafoam Islands. The caves on the island had rushing water that could be made traversable if boulders were pushed into it.  I found Articuno at the bottom, but I couldn’t catch it. Leaving the cave brought me to Cinnabar Island.

My favorite Pokemon as a kid

Cinnabar had a Pokémon Mansion filled with stat boosting items and a “secret key.” There were also some journals there that revealed some lore about Mew and Mewtwo. I wonder if I’ll get to see them by the end of my play through.

Next up was the Cinnabar gym. This was probably my favorite gym so far, as I’ve always been a fan of quizzes. The leader used fire-type Pokémon, so it was quite easy. 

Didn't get hit once

The last badge I need is in Saffron City. The guard in front of the Silph Co. building fell asleep at some point, so I was able to go inside. Wish I didn’t have to though, as this area sucked. Eleven floors of mazes and teleports, with a ton of trainers to boot. It took me forever to clear the building out and eventually rescue the Silph Co. president. Gio was to blame (again). Got a master ball though, which is pretty dope. With Team Rocket defeated, the gym was now able to be entered.

The psychic gym had another teleport maze, but always using the one right in front of you brought me to the leader quickly, so it was a lot less frustrating than the teleports in Silph. The leader was, as always, easy and with her defeat, I now can go to the Elite Four! Or so I thought... Turns out that I didn’t have the eighth badge yet from Viridian City. I forgot that it was closed the first time I went through there. The leader turned out to be none other than Gio, so I had to teach him a lesson for the third time. This time he was so soundly defeated that he vowed Team Rocket would be dissolved forever. Doubt it. Onward to the Elite Four!

Should she though?

The first of the four was tough, as they used iced type Pokémon that my Blastoise was weak against. The third actually surprised me, as she withdrew one of her Pokémon before I could defeat them. I didn’t know the AI in this game was capable of that. After beating the four I had to defeat the champion, which was Red. Definitely the single toughest fight in the game. I had to use most of my potions and revives to defeat him, but I did manage to beat him on my first try. After that Oak shows up and congratulates you, and then the credits roll. 

Suck it nerd

The last thing I did was go and catch Mewtwo. Figured I should use my Master Ball on something after all. With him caught, I’m officially finished with Pokémon Blue! I’ll write up a review and give it a formal score here soon.

My last new Pokemon

Final team

Final play time: 15:37

No comments:

Post a Comment